Saturday, April 25, 2009

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Tuesday, the 14th, Grandpa George and Cindy accompanied us on a trip down memory lane. I carefully maneuvered the truck through the Auburn grade (at some points only 10 mph) and started the day at Coloma by visiting the American River just across from where Rick was baptized.
Then we toured the Sutter's Mill Museum and looked at some gold nuggets.
As we drove through Garden Valley into Georgetown, I was surprised at the things I remembered after being gone for nearly 30 years. We stopped at the elementary school to show the girls and the little park we used to play at.

We decided to stop in at the Wadsworth's house to see if they were home. Dorothy recognized me right away and was full of warm hugs. Jeff and his son, Owen were there for a visit so we got to see them, too. They are still just as kind as I remembered them.

There are more trees at the homestead I grew up on and the barn has been replaced. The thing that really struck me about all of it was that it was not as big as I remembered. I showed Megan the spot where her mom broke her arm by being thrown from a horse on the highway in front of the house.

After a quick trip to the Stifle Serpentine Mine site, I drove the grade to Placerville. I was seized by the old fears of childhood being on "The Falling Road." So I had to drive quite slow. (When I was little I used to cower on the floorboard.) Overcame that obstacle and stopped at KFC for a quick bite to eat on the way to John Crays - we had to pick up some timber Bamboo for Rick. The girls jumped on the trampoline while Grandpa, John and I cut up the bamboo so it would fit in the truck. We are blessed with good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment