Monday, February 16, 2009

Flint Knapping Hobby

Several years ago I met with a talented man named Finn. He gave me a lesson on basic flint knapping. The method he showed me requires quite a bit of hand strength, which I don't have, so I didn't do much with it. My brother-in-law asked me to show him how to do it, so I did. Then Kerry wanted to know, too. Kerry has "Cowboy Hands", according to his nephew, Jeff. Manly- man hands, so he was good at it from the first day. It's been almost eight months and now Kerry can complete 6-7 pieces in a weekend ranging from small bird points, to 8 inch knife blades. He can do anything, and do it well. Kerry can even "bop" which means breaking a rock apart using percussion blows and eventually ending up with a bi-face (spear point in layman's terms). He created two yesterday at the knap-in at Bo's garage.

Here are some of the points that Kerry has made. Several of the other points have been given to family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. they look good dad. I'm about as impressed as anyone who "doesn't have a clue" can be! :)

    ReplyDelete